MA in Applied Legal Studies for Notaries Public
The Master of Arts in Applied Legal Studies (MA-ALS) for Notaries Public is offered through the SFU School of Criminology. It was developed in 2007–2008 by the SFU School of Criminology, the SFU Centre for Online and Distance Education (CODE) and the Society of Notaries Public of BC, which provided the initial gateway.
The standard of academic qualification and level of work expected of students in this MA is high. Courses include the following.
• Theoretical work in Canadian law
• Contract law, incorporation, corporate law
• Research in legislation, legal precedent and legal writing
• Theory and practice of real property
• The philosophy of law
• Laws of succession, transfer of property, wills, and powers of attorney
• The ethical, business and legal sides of the profession
The MA-ALS won the award for programming excellence given by the Canadian Association of University Continuing Education (CAUCE) in 2011. The award and the high standards of the MA reflect the dedication to the profession by Notaries and the difficulties of the work they perform.
Credits: Video by CODE Media; Music by Chris Zabriskie